Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Ass Toast Nation

This is an odd mystery record that I found in the free pile at Reckless Records in Chicago years ago...there was a huge stack of them. I could not pass up the ridiculous arbitrary cover art that featured a Frank Frazetta painting with pictures of Asian guys in headphones on the side and a random photo on the back cover of some dudes hanging out drinking 7UP and Budweiser with a chick. Click on the image for a full size version...I have stared at this cover for hours.
There is not much information on this record except for a small slip of paper inside, which provides only gibberish and a little drawing of a woman spreading her legs open on a slice of toast. I am assuming this is a split LP with A Calvacade Of Thugs and Orgasmo A.F.U. They both play a really no-fi hip hop interspersed with some bad rock songs.

A Calvacade of Thug's "Ass Toast Nation" has some great rhymes like "YO! I really know how to love a can, I can strip the base of my dick with a rubber band. Don't get me wrong, I like you chicks, now spread your tits to give me a place to shit". Another one of their songs, "Sevrock" features some pretty good rapping and a great squonking sax. The records they sample are extremely fucked up with a lot of surface noise. I am not sure if this record was a prank or not...but a copy has been moldering in the Experimental bin at Reckless for years now.

A Calvacade of Thugs - Ass Toast Nation (mp3)

A Calvacade of Thugs - Sevrock (mp3)

6 Comments:

Blogger Mr Fab said...

Can't believe you know about this record. It was given away for free (redundent, I know). I picked up a copy at the old Amok Books shop in Hollywood, CA, early '90s. Apparently the people reponsible were from Pasadena, and used to perform in that area at open-mic nights for as long as they could before being thrown out.

It had great rhymes, but not real great music, so I never listened to it much. This makes me wanna give it another listen...

1:53 AM  
Blogger Gregory Jacobsen said...

thanks for the info Mr. Fab...I didn't know it came from that far away. Great backstory as well! You are right! not real great music...a very hard listen- most of it is crap. although I know someone who claimed they listened to this record non-stop one summer.

chitty...would that station happen to be WZRD? give mike kraus and eleanor an ice cream sundae for me. HPK? give Blake and Chris a couple tummy rubs. LUW? NUR? shove the broken shards of an "arcade fire" CD up the asses of all those stuttering stammering "DJs" for me.

4:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the LP has the first cuts ever released from the LA SHapeshifters and Hawd Gankstuh Rapper MCs wid Gatz.

Sev aka sevrok is another LA graf legend.

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there
well i only recentley discovered this to my surprise

i spoke with prince charming and he said you might beable to help me find copy??

could you help please??

great blog by the way, thanks to prince charming it has opened up whole new world to me

thankyou!!

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too came across this record about 13 years ago in a 'free pile' at a record store in Pasadena, California. I was so intrigued by it that I dialed the phone number contained in the liner notes and spoke to one Mr. Lucky Pierre. He told me that he had indeed released the record and he set me straight about a couple of things. This 12" vinyl is actually a split LP. One side is a mini-LP by the group Orgasmo (of which Lucky Pierre was a member) and the other side is a compilation E.P. (featuring a variety of groups) called 'A Cavalcade of Thugs'. During our conversation, Lucky also corroborated a lot of what Mr. Fab said in his post, namely that Orgasmo were from the L.A. area and that they used to perform at open-mic nights.

Personally I preferred the Orgasmo stuff. The beats and rhymes are all over the place! Surprising too was the quality of the packaging. A full color cover, loads of bizzare liner notes, and red splatter vinyl seem a bit like overkill considering the fact that the record was being given away!

If you are reading this, chances are that you have already come across this record. If you haven't listened to it yet, give it a spin, it's a surreal treat! Perfect listening for fans of Sockeye, Fossil Fuel, or any of the Wheelchair Full of Old Men bands. Don't know about Wheelchair? It's good stuff....two words, 'Tard Core.

12:19 PM  
Anonymous weasel walter said...

fatty,

back in the mid '90s, jeff day and i found a pile of these lps on the ground in front of quimby's when it was still on damen avenue. i still have my copy. i wondered what the fuck it was for years.

6:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home