Thursday, July 28, 2005

Godley & Creme


Kevin Godley and Lol Creme left 10cc in 1976 to persue a solo career based on a guitar contaption they invented named The Gizmo which produced violin sounds on a guitar. The result of which was the debut triple LP Consequences which featured a play acted out by Peter Cook and sonic tomfooloery that can only be achieved by being holed up in a studio for 14 months. Obviously, Consequences was destroyed by the critics.

Their following records were a bit easier to digest but still featured bizzare sonic effects and baffling pop arrangements. They achieved a minor hit in the 80's with "Cry" accompanied by a groundbreaking video of morphing faces. Some of their material was reissued in the late 90's but you can usually find their records in budget bins, sad as it may be.

Godey & Creme - Sandwiches Of You (mp3) from L

Godley & Creme - An Englishman In New York (mp3) from Freeze Frame

Godley & Creme - I Pity Inanimate Objects (mp3) from Freeze Frame

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for posting my favorite song.

2:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Finestkind choices — I was just thinking abt. G+C yesterday and was tempted to go dig out the vinyl, but you saved me the (admittedly not-much) effort... What great warped artrock — Thanks!

10:49 AM  
Blogger The Oddio Overplay Team said...

Yay! Had to pull L from the shelf and give it a spin. Love it! Thanks for the smiles!

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Demon Records (UK) have rolled out a very fine Godley & Creme reissue campaign, available titles which can be looked at here:

www.demonmusicgroup.co.uk/content/296.chtml

www.demonmusicgroup.co.uk/content/297.chtml

www.demonmusicgroup.co.uk/content/217.chtml

2:15 AM  
Blogger NewmRadio said...

Good stuff!! I could eat... Sandwiches of You.

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the clips...

like mooneyham, I have C+C stuff on vinyl, too. It's just that with all the time one spends in front of the computer, mp3's simply make more sense nowadays.

The big irony for me with the whole 'music piracy' flap is that I do actually buy the original media for all my music. Used that is. So the RIAA rarely makes money off of me anyway.

The last time I bought a new CD was in '03. And no, I've really no problem with paying the full whack for new CDs.

It's just that most commerically released music is so uncompelling for me that waiting a bit for a used copy to come up simply isn't that painful.

Now if I can only find an mp3 of "My Body the Car..."

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home